Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Wow almost a month






Hello all, a lot has happened in a month. Alex and I had surgery and I learned a lot.

Robert is a great dad, he catered to the boys, organized the house, did landscaping and occasionally would feed me. Of course this wonderful husband did need some verbal encouragement, but he took to the challenge. He loved it when I felt like the floor was too dirty and I would pour the cleaner on the floor and then ask him to "do me a favor and mop?" I pleaded my case many times, "If you don't stay on top of the house it will get away from you". It finally got away from him and he got organized. I feel that we both have a whole new appreciation for each other. We have some new rules in place that we are trying to enforce starting with the boys must now SIT TO PEE and all toys must be picked up before going on to the next room to destroy. We have also regained our family room and our TV. Robert painted an old entertainment center and placed it in the boys room complete with cable and PlayStation 2.

I learned that Alex will do about anything for a biscuit. After his surgery I promised if he was really good and brave when he got better I would allow him a biscuit; that he should not have due to his restricted diet. Good news though the pain medication constipates and the ingredients in biscuits counter acts that; a win win situation. So, as soon as we got in the door it was time for the yucky pain medication and I assured him if he took it it would get him closer to his biscuit. He took it and then demanded a biscuit. WOW two hours after throat surgery. Then, he bargained with me that he would take his "dose" pain medication if he could have a biscuit. We compromised on a little piece of a biscuit. He had a ritual, he'd smell the biscuit, drink some water, take the medication, drink some water and eat the biscuit. He was great about reminding me of his "dose/biscuit time". He is still trying to negotiate to get his biscuit dose:) All in all he recovered wonderful and has been give the all clear from the Doctor.

I am proud to say as many of you already know I will not become a druggie as I can not tolerate any form of pain medication. So, my incredible pain tolerance "called mind over matter" kicked in. I wish it were that strong, but God got me through it. I am still recovering--- Yuck. I will also not be joining a gang or participating in anything else that could get me stabbed. I felt like I was stabbed and to date those areas hurt and are tender. I have contemplated removing all knives from the kitchen to avoid any accidents.

I also learned that Joshua's ankles are NOT broken. He normally throws himself on the floor and tells me that his ankles are broken so I will carry him. Well, no such luck now since thankfully he weighs well over the allowed 10lb limit. He does however check daily to see if I can carry him yet.

I learned that my friends and family are wonderful (I knew it prior too). They made meals, watched the kids, called and e-mailed me, came over and helped me and helped me feel better. Susie and Jason came and helped. If it wasn't for the pain thing and the scarring this was a sweet deal:)

I learned that self catherization stinks and a cat scan involves an IV sometimes; who would have thought? I learned that there are Doctors that prescribe medication in FLORIDA in the SUMMER that the main warning is to avoid SUNLIGHT. Okay, how does one go about that? Really? I am not living in a cave somewhere or OHIO.

I learned that Dion Sanders is really funny (especially on his scooter) and that TV stinks, just more to choose from.

I learned that you should never tell a Doctor about a pain that you can't see with your eyes (ouch). Nor should you tell the Doctor that you drove yourself to the hospital (3-weeks is a long time to not drive and 2-weeks was more doable).

I learned that I don't know or understand the definition of "Take it Easy". However, in my defense neither do my friends and family and the Doctors and hospital staff really should have better described "take it easy". Especially, since they told me I had to be more active (light activity) to heal. It's like a bipolar statement. Go/Don't Go...

Well, the good news is I am doing good and I am almost done with a certain section in the store and that is like the prize in the Cracker Jack Box (I like the tattoos).

Okay here are some photos of my wonderful kids:) and I am off to bed.

The above photos is our first summer beach day. We had Alex's all clear and we hit the surf and what a great day. Susie also took Alex and me to the Aquirum and that is included. Love to all:)

No comments: